Travis Heights offers a wide range of fun, engaging events for students, families, and the community. Due to Covid-19, events at the school may be modified or held virtually to maintain the health and safety of all.
Enrolled students and their families will be contacted through DOJO, Wed. e-Folder, or the classroom teacher regarding specific events for this year and how to participate. You can find out about our programs and special events by checking out the school calendar. You can also call the office at 512-414-4495 with questions.
- Prime Time is a free afterschool program provided by a grant from the City of Austin. Prime Time is offered for six to seven weeks in the fall and in the spring. Classes offered include coding, dance, cooking, science, Minecraft and more! Be on the lookout for the sign-up sheets in Wednesday folders, as classes fill up quickly. Austin ISD describes the programs at AISD Prime Time.
- Each year, the 5th grade class goes to the Outdoor School at Camp Champions. Students and teachers spend 2 days and 1 night learning, bonding, and camping together. This amazing experience is supported by an annual PTA fundraiser at Guero’s in early May. Information and forms can be found at The Outdoor School at Camp Champions.
- Our children and families are encouraged to participate in Marathon Kids as part of an emphasis on building lifelong healthy habits. Marathon Kids was developed to promote healthy living lifestyles through healthy food choices and exercise. The mission of Marathon Kids is to encourage and motivate children of all fitness levels and abilities to reach the goal of 26.2 miles and improved health through creative physical activity and healthy eating habits over the course of several months. Kick-Off and Final Mile Celebrations are announced in the fall and spring of the school year, and many classes participate during their WOW time and PE time. For more information, visit Marathon Kids.
- “The Student Council helps share students’ ideas, interests, and concerns with teachers and school principals. Students are elected by their classmates to become campus leaders. These leaders function as chaperones for special visitors to our school. They also develop the Spirit Day calendar for the school and help raise funds for a school gift.”
- Fifth graders at THES can become a Wellness Warrior. The Wellness Warriors work at school to promote healthy living and lifestyles for all of our Thunderbird community. The team consists of an activity group which leads activities and games, a communication group which makes announcements and does skits, and an equipment group which organizes equipment. During our Family Fun and Fitness Day, the entire team helps students learn how to play games and stay safe.
- Upper grade students apply to join this leadership team. These students develop technology skills and provide support to the school. They work behind the scenes at the Friday morning assemblies and also provide technical support for campus events, such as Cultural Festival and the PTA fundraiser at Guero’s.
- 2nd-5th grade students who are interested can join the THES Choir. This group meets on Mondays after school once a week, beginning late in September. In December, the choir travels to sing holiday music in local venues. They go to the VA, St. Edwards, and Stonebriar Nursing home. They also perform at our Cultural Festival in December. In the spring, they perform the National Anthem at the Austin Spurs (a San Antonio Spurs affiliate) basketball game at the Cedar Park Center. The final performance of the year is the PTA sponsored event at Guero’s in May.